- About Kids Corp
- For Kids
- Parents & Teachers
- Media Center
Growing Healthy Kids
Kids Farm was developed to promote healthy eating habits among Newark's children and as a year-round teaching tool for Kids Camp. In addition to feeding and educating our students, Kids Farm grows organic produce for profit sales to New Jersey restaurants, and sells fresh, affordable vegetables at Newark's neediest schools.
Kids Farm brings thousands of pounds of fresh, naturally grown produce to the Newark community. These items are sold at a very low profit margin, directly to the summer and after-school programs where a high numbers of children with obesity and nutrition issues have been identified by the Kids Corporation clinic.
More than 4,000 Newark students who visit Kids Camp each year learn about sustainable farming, healthy food, and the ecosystems of agriculture. These children observe and participate in every stage of the crop life cycles, pick their own lunch ingredients off the vine, and share those same vegetables at home with their families. During the winter months, our heated greenhouse produces organic greens for profit to local restaurants, a new earned income revenue stream for Kids Corporation.
Kids Farm sells popular items typically found at local farmers' markets, such as tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, onions, salad greens, collards, cucumbers, squash, melons, in addition to our own natural maple syrup from the Kids Camp's forest. What's more, at the end of each week, unsold inventory is donated to Newark's homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
- Kids Farm grows fresh, organic produce.
- The program promotes healthy eating habits to combat obesity, hunger, and malnutrition.
- Market products are offered for for-profit sales.
- The farm sells affordable vegetables at Newark's schools.
- Newark families have the opportunity to purchase produce for their households.
- Students learn about healthy eating habits.
- Students learn environmental science concepts, including sustainable agriculture.